Monday, January 3, 2011

Taking down the Christmas...

If the title of my blog doesn't give you a hint, I'm usually very slow to get things done.  So it should be no surprise that it is January 3rd and I am just now getting my Christmas decorations put away.  As I was putting them away, I was thinking there are a few decorations and ornaments I would love to leave out all year.  One is my Nativity.
I snapped this picture of my son several years ago as he was looking at it.  I promise this was not a set up picture.  I started collecting this Fontanini Nativity when I was 18 years old.  It is my favorite piece at Christmas.
Then I have some ornaments that are old favorites and
some new favorites!  Let me explain my ornaments. I have been collecting Hallmark ornaments since 16 years old.  My entire family (Mom, Aunt, cousin, and Grandmother) collects Hallmark ornaments.  I buy at least 6 a year.  After moving to a new town, I went in my local Hallmark to purchase my ornaments and the lady at the counter said "Wow, you are knocking out a lot of presents today." After explaining my yearly collection, she looked at me like I was crazy.  Yes, I am crazy, thanks a lot.

This is a new ornament this year.  I have always loved Jim Henson's Muppets.  I have passed this love on to my son.  Animal just cracks me up!  You press the button on the front and he goes into his crazy drum solo and yelling.  I would press the button at least once a day and get a great laugh.
 This Marjolein Bastin Natures Sketchbook from 2003 is one of 5 I have of hers. This happens to be my favorite because of the bright reds.  Her artwork is beautiful.
 I'm a sucker for a cute Nativity, and as my little guy says "Everyone needs a Baby Jesus on their Christmas tree."
 1998...Sophomore/Junior year of college.  I had just started my first job and this is one of the first Hallmark ornaments I purchased with my own paycheck. 
 Ah Linus.  I was not a big Peanuts fan growing up, but since having my own child, I have grown to love Peanuts...especially Linus.  My little guy had a blue blanket that he carried around everywhere if I let him.  He would snuggle it like this but a pacifier in his mouth instead of a thumb (thank goodness).  So this sweet little Linus will always remind me of my sweet little boy.
 My mom and I have this same ornament.  She is one of my best friends and always will be.  This is also from 2003 and what makes it so special is it was my first Christmas having my own place. 

 2003 was a good year for ornaments!  I have two Noah's Ark ornaments, but this is my favorite.  I love how it opens and has all of the detail on the inside as well as the outside.
 Another new one, this fabric cupcake is a new series that I had to start!  I cannot wait to see what next year's cupcake looks like!
 So we are a golfing family.  Husband plays, I play and son plays.  I thought this was appropriate to go with a cute little golf cart ornament from last year.  My husband wouldn't be caught with those club head covers.
 Christmas of 1994.  I was a Senior in high school.  I LOVED the movie Disney's Aladdin.  So Santa on a flying carpet?  SOLD!  This is still one of my favorites because it brings back so many memories!
This is one of the few non-Hallmark ornaments I own.  This was my mom's.  Enough said.

And while I was taking everything off the living room tree, my son brought in his little tree from his room undecorated like I asked.  He then proceeded to make his tree come to life complete with shoulder pads.  That boy LOVES some Auburn Football.
I have now said goodbye to my beloved ornaments and decorations until next year.  It is a lot of work getting it out and putting it away, but worth every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment