Thursday, September 15, 2011

Body Image

As I'm reading Jenny Lawson's posts (she is one of my favorite bloggers featured on many sites such as thebloggess.com and thestir.cafemom.com), I came across her post on children and body image.  Here is a passage from her post.  Read the entire post here.

"But here’s something I will tell you ... there is a pattern to body acceptance that comes with age. It’s over-generalized and I just made it up, but that doesn’t make it less true. Here it is:

  • What babies think about their bodies: I have a body?
  • What toddlers think about their bodies: Why can’t I get this to work?

  • What little boys think about their bodies: I can pee standing up. I am obsessed with my penis.

  • What little girls think about their bodies: I am beautiful. When do I get my wings?

  • What pre-teen boys think about their bodies: What the f*** is happening?

  • What pre-teen girls think about their bodies: This is going to happen EVERY MONTH?

  • What teen boys think about their bodies: I can pee standing up. I am obsessed with my penis.

  • What teen girls think about their bodies: I am hideous and I wish I looked like that girl.

  • What men think about their bodies: I can pee standing up. I am obsessed with my penis.

  • What women think about their bodies: I am hideous and I wish I looked like I did when I was a teenager.  

  • What old men think about their bodies: What the hell happened to my penis?

  • What old women think about their bodies: F*** you. I’m awesome."

This is exactly what I needed to read today.  Thanks Jenny!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment